Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Run Forrest Run

"Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows." - Forrest Gump

Whew...I have to admit, I have been slack on my Training Tuesday updates!  I have done great with my two 30 minute runs during the week, but the long runs on the weekends just aren't happening my friends.  I have had wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much going on to even think about strapping my shoes on and taking a jog.  This has to change ASAP though, and I need your help for motivation.  My half-marathon is in t-minus 46 days.  That's only a mere 6 weeks away!  My longest run so far has been 6.5 miles, and my goal for training is 9 miles.  It is definitely a reasonable goal, but I just need to stick to my training plan from Galloway.


This past Friday, I had the day off for my friend Courtney's bridal luncheon and rehearsal.  It was a beautiful day in the Upstate, so I decided to take a long morning jog at my mom's since I knew it wouldn't happen on Sunday.  Everything was going fine and dandy....until my hip caught a cramp.  Who get's a cramp in their hip?!  PICK ME!  The excuse I'm using?  Barre class from the day before.  We had a hard, but great leg and hip workout and I should have stretched my hip better before the run.  I did get in a 4.5 mile run and about a 15 minute walk back to my house.  Not too shabby.

This morning, I went on my normal jog around Daniel Island.  There is a 3 mile loop from the office, around town, and back.  It is such a beautiful run, and the weather was perfect!  Surprisingly, I finished in under 25 minutes.  An 8 minute mile is an unusually fast pace for me, but it felt good to reach a new limit!

This week I plan to order a new pair of running shoes with some of the birthday cash I received a few weeks ago.  I am quickly approaching 75 miles on the pair of kicks I currently have, and would like to "break in" a new pair before the half marathon in November.  I am thinking of ordering the same exact shoe I already have, just in a different color.  I love my Mizuno running shoes, and think that I wouldn't be disappointed by ordering the same pair.  I purchased by first pair from Try Sports in Mt. Pleasant, but found the same exact shoe on Zappo's for much cheaper!

Another reason I need to order new running shoes?  I have felt signs of shin splints recently.  No good.  I've been researching ways to stretch your shins, because they are so hard to reach!  Here's what I've come up with so far:

According to Roberts, the best cure for shin splints, (play video) once you have them, is rest. The length of recuperation depends upon the severity of the condition. Physicians may also recommend over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications, ice packs and stretching. 

Roberts recommends two shin splints stretches to help prevent and aid in shin splints recovery. For the first stretching exercise, with shoes off, sit on a chair and extend one leg straight. Flex the toes and foot toward the body, then point the toes away. Repeat the shin splints stretches exercise ten times and switch legs. 

For the second shin splints stretches exercise, stand on a step, facing the step. Move back so the heels will freely drop below the step. Put a micro-bend in your knees and allow the heels to drop below the step. On exhalation, lift as high as possible on the toes. Repeat ten times and rest. 


Do you have any tips or tricks for curing shin splints or stretching them?! I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...