Thursday, November 3, 2011

Good for the Soul

{I am thankful for my family and friends.  Without their constant support and love, I would not be who I am today.  I am grateful for their continuous guidance, uplifting prayers, and motivation.  You guys rock!}

Chicken and dumplings that is.  What better than a big bowl of yummy goodness to warm up your insides on a cold evening?  I made my very first batch of this soup on Tuesday.  According to my husband, it was quite a success.  I didn't really go by any particular recipe, but rather a combination of a few from allrecipes.com and whatever I could find in my fridge :).

Amanda's Chicken and Dumplings  {real original 'eh?!}
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 package of potato gnocchi (I got mine from Sam's.  It comes in 3 separately sealed packages.)
  • 5-6 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 can cream of chicken
  • Celery (chopped into small chunks)
  • Carrots (chopped into small chunks)
  • Onion (chopped into small slivers)
  • Garlic (minced)
  • Parsley
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

1.  Boil chicken breasts until done.  When finished, place in strainer to cool.

2.  While waiting on chicken to cool, place chicken stock, cream of chicken, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic 
      in a large pot on medium low.  Bring to a light boil and let continue for about 10 minutes, stirring
      occasionally. (1)

3.  Take fork and gently begin to shred chicken slowly adding it to the pot of vegetables and stock. (2)

4.  Once vegetables begin to soften, add the package of potato gnocchi. (3)

5.  Let soup simmer on low-medium low for about 45 minutes to an hour, then serve. (4)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...