Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Training Tuesday


Much to my surprise, I really have enjoyed training for the half marathon that I will be participating in on November 5th of this year.  The Rock 'n' Roll Marathon series will be making it's way to Savannah, GA, with a band at each mile and beautiful scenery to keep me occupied!  This will be my first half, although I have ran a few 5Ks and 10Ks in the past 3 years.  My stepsister and her husband have already participated in a few half marathons this year, including the Nashville Rock 'n' Roll Marathon series and one in Spain!  When they decided to make the drive to Savannah and run in their half marathon, she quickly called and insisted that I register as well!  I immediately signed up, and texted my friend Kat to tell her that she had to sign up too!  Kat and I have been running partners/motivators for a few years now and I knew that if I was going to be training, I needed someone to "compete" against.  After a little nudge, she signed up too! 

So...you might ask, what training plan am I using?  I signed up back in early May and began training early June so I would have plenty of time to prepare myself.  My stepsister recommended Jeff Galloway's training book, "Half Marathon: You Can Do It".  It is a run/walk training program that only requires you to run 3 days a week.  Only 3 days a week??!!  My legs, especially my knees, thank you Galloway!  If you don't want to purchase the book, you can read more about his training program here.


Here is a recap of my weekly training/exercise agenda:

  • Monday-     Barre Class 7:00-7:45 AM
  • Tuesday-     30 minute run with intervals on treadmill
        • 0:00-10:00 min:    6.1 speed
        • 10:01-12:00 min:  6.1 speed and 0.5 incline
        • 12:01-14:00 min:  6.1 speed and 1.0 incline
        • 14:01-16:00 min:  6.1 speed and 0.5 incline
        • 16:01-18:00 min:  6.1 speed and 1.0 incline
        • 18:01-20:00 min:  6.1 speed and 0.5 incline
        • 20:01-22:00 min:  6.2 speed
        • 22:01-24:00 min:  6.3 speed
        • 24:01-26:00 min:  6.2 speed
        • 26:01-28:00 min:  6.3 speed
        • 28:01-30:00 min:  6.2 speed
        • 30:01-35:00 min:  Cool down per treadmill
  • Wednesday-   Barre Class 7:00-7:45 AM
  • Thursday-      Barre Class 7:00-7:45 AM and a 30 minute run at a 6.1 pace
  • Friday-            P90X Abs or Off Day- depends on how I am feeling
  • Saturday-       Off Day
  • Sunday-          Long Run Day: Galloway's training method helps you choose which plan will work best for your current stamina and how far to run on the weekend.  You normally increase a mile a week, with a few small runs thrown in here and there so you don't kill yourself.  I also try to run outside if it isn't too hot.  This normally involves waking up at the crack of dawn.  Not exactly how I want to spend my Sunday, but it does motivate to me get up and get ready for church on time :).  Currently, I am at 6 miles on Sunday and I am comfortable with this run so far!
If I had to run everyday of the week, I would get bored quickly.  Don't get me wrong...I enjoy it a lot, and use the time to clear my head and pray, but if I HAD to run everyday, I think I would despise it!  I signed up for the Barre class because I feel that the mix of a cardio/sculpting class and the scheduled training runs help to keep me in shape.  I always seem to feel so much better when I get in 5 days of working out in a week.

When I started running a few years ago, I never imagined that I would be training for a half marathon one day.  I can remember when I thought I was going to die after running one mile.  All it takes is training and the time!  So compile your favorite running mix on your iPod and just go for it...you might surprise yourself :)

Happy Training!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...