Monday, June 25, 2012

How To: Happy Birthday Mini Bunting

Before we get started, I want to tell you how excited I am to be a guest on Emily's blog today as she embarks on a ten day European vacation!  Hop on over to read about my favorite vacation.

Last week I made my first layered cake for a friend's birthday.  In addition, I also created a mini bunting to adorn the beautiful layers.  I searched Pinterest for a printable version, but just ended up creating my own in the end.  Because I love you all, I am going to share with you how I made it, as well as provide you with the FREE printable version so you can make one too!

First, you will need to gather all of the supplies:

  • skewers
  • twine (or some version of string)
  • double sided tape squares
  • printable bunting (which I will provide you with)
  • scissors

 Then, tie one end of the twine to a skewer.  Fold each cut out letter in half to form a triangle.

Slide the folded triangle over the twine and secure with a double sided tape square in the center. Continue until you have the first word spelled out.  Then, cut the twine to an appropriate length and tie to another skewer.  Repeat these steps starting with a new piece of twine for the second word.

You want to be sure that there is just enough twine to even out both words and sag a little in the middle.  You don't want to have too much excess twine, as it will droop into the cake.

 Finally, slide both skewers into the cake at a slant and you have the perfect adornment for your cake!


Now for the most important part....the free printable bunting!  I created the bunting using shapes, colors, and letters in PowerPoint.  It turned out even better than I imagined and I wanted to share with all of my readers!  Just click to enlarge, and either save or print!


Now go and enjoy your Monday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! My girlfriends and I want to make a cake and bunting like this for our girlfriend's bachelorette party! And love, love your post about your cruise! My husband and I went on the same cruise for our honeymoon!!

Samantha said...

This is awesome! Great DIY!!

Carly Messmer said...

So cute! Ahh I need a party to make this for, love it.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

That's so cute! I love it!!!!

Morgan said...

I am definitely trying this sometime! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing how to do this dear. It's such a great idea. I've always wanted to do this before.

Faith said...

So cute! Absolutely love this!

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

Love this DIY! I'll have to bookmark it for Sept when its hubby's birthday! xo

Unknown said...

WOW this is SUPER cute and something that I could totally do, or at least something I SHOULD be able to do!

Kristin said...

so cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...