Thursday, June 21, 2012

My First Layered Cake

Yesterday was one of my best friend's 24th birthday, so I decided to bake her a cake!  Tuesday evening, I gathered all the supplies and got to work.  Since this was my first attempt at a layered cake, I turned to Christina for some advice.  Let me tell you....this girl knows her baking!  She was so kind and answered all of my silly questions as a first timer.


First, I made the box cake according to it's instructions.  I chose Strawberry, only because the store was out of Funfetti.



Then, I prepared the pans by placing a piece of wax paper in the bottom of each, sprayed a non-stick spray, and sifted flour around the entire pan.  This was a great tip that I found in Christina's post here.  It worked like a charm and I did not have any trouble removing them once they were finished baking.












While the cakes cooled in the fridge wrapped in saran wrap, I started on the icing.  I followed Christina's cream cheese icing recipe and added in her secret ingredient.  This strawberry lemonade icing was delicious!



Once the cakes cooled, I added the middle filling and the first crumb layer of icing.  Then, after thirty minutes in the fridge I placed another layer on to complete the cake.  Topped it with sprinkles and a homemade bunting, and it was the prettiest birthday cake I've ever seen!


Happy Birthday Maureen!

Stay tuned tomorrow for instructions on how to make a mini bunting, along with a FREE printable!

14 comments:

Christina said...

i love a pink cake! so pretty!!

Jeanette @ This Dusty House said...

It looks great!

My first layered cake, I didn't realize the cake had to be cool before icing it and I didn't leave myself enough time, so I tried icing it while it was still warm. I fought with it, and managed, but it certainly didn't look too pretty under the super thick layer of icing!

Tamara @ T {times} Three said...

Wow, you did an awesome job! Did you make or buy the little banner?

Faith said...

it looks so good! you did a great job!!!

Michelle said...

Looks great!

Erin said...

That looks SO perfect!!! Good for you, and on your first attempt!! I need to learn how to make a cake before hubby's next bday (not til fall!) so I might need to check out her tips too!

What did you mean by crumb layer? Did I miss something, or am I clueless? lol

Morgan said...

REALLY impressive! Nice work!

Carolina Charm said...

My goodness this turned out perfect! How amazing is that icing?!?!! Great job, friend!!!

Rachel R said...

Looks so cute and yummy! Wish I had a big slice right now :)

{Jessica} said...

Yum! And so super cute - love the little banner on top:)

Meg {henninglove} said...

that cake looks great! wish i could have a slice. and the mini bunting you made it s stinking cute, i love it!!

taylorlsteele said...

Seriously, how cute? You rock!

Dana Gastelum said...

It's GORGEOUS!! Amazing job Amanda!! :) I'm going to have to try that icing..Mmm!

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

Soo pretty! Ive got to make that frosting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...