Friday, September 2, 2011

Birthday Blessings and Remembering a Dear Friend

My cup runneth over.  It is only 8 AM and I have already had breakfast in bed, 2 phone calls, 3 texts, and over 40 people write on my Facebook wall to tell me happy birthday.  I am blessed to have an amazing family and great group of friends!  It's funny how notifications on Facebook to let you know that someone has written on your wall can make you feel all "giddy" inside!  I am looking forward to what the rest of the day may hold.  My hubby has A LOT to live up to :).

Today is not only my birthday, but it is also a day of remembrance of a dear friend of mine.  Four years ago today, Kariana Smith was tragically taken from our lives, without warning and without closure.  Kari was my role model in middle and high school.  She was 3 years older, but treated me and my cousin Cori Ann like we were the little sisters she never had.  Kari would pick us up from school and take us to softball practice.  She would have sleepovers with us at her house where we would sleep in her parent's camper out back.  And she would sit with us in the back of the bus to and from softball games, playing cards and singing at the top of our lungs.  Our softball coach even nicknamed us Alvin and the chipmunks.  Kari {Alvin} drove the little white Nissan, Cori Ann {Simon} had the smarts, and I {Theodore} always showed up to practice with food in hand.  I have so many great memories with Kari, and I am thankful that I was able to be a part of her life.
{Kari, myself, and Cori Ann at church camp in NC}

Kari's story is a reminder that life is precious and we are never promised tomorrow.  We must live each day as if it were our last.  I know that Kari lived her life to the fullest.  She will always remain a role model to me, even in Heaven.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...