Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Training Tuesday: Upcoming Races!


I've been bitten by the running bug again!  I tell you, it's quite addictive.  After my first half marathon in November of last year, I did not run for almost two months.  Severe shin splints and muscle overuse got the best of me.  Now, I find myself back to my old habits...arranging my daily plans around runs and eating a hearty dinner when I know I have a long run the next day.  And stretching more.  Since my injury, I am sure to take precaution.  I have found that stretching is a vital part of training for a race.

Now that I am running more, I was eager to find an upcoming race to train for.  Over a locker room conversation a few weeks ago, a co-worker was telling me about a half marathon in North Myrtle Beach, SC.  The Divas Half Marathon is an all female race!  How cool is that?  After researching the dates, I knew it was meant for me to participate in this race.  My sister has a hair show in Myrtle Beach the exact same weekend and had already invited my mom and I for a girls weekend.  Perfect? I think so!  I can't wait to find a fun and sassy pink top for this race.

And of course I am participating in the Cooper River Bridge Run this year.  This will be my third time running, and I am hoping to set a new PR.  This run always tests me with the steep incline and thousands of people you have to maneuver through to get a good pace going.  It's always a sense of accomplishment when you are finished though, and fun to meet up with other friends at the finish line.  There are definitely lots of local supporters and participants for this annual run.


To prepare for these races, I have been trying to run three times a week: two 30 minute runs and a long run.  This morning, I completed a 2.75 mile run on the treadmill and it went something like this:

0:00-9:59:      6.0 pace, no incline
10:00-11:59:  6.0 pace, 0.5 incline
12:00-13:59:  6.0 pace, 1.0 incline  
14:00-15:59:  6.0 pace, 1.5 incline
16:00-17:59:  6.0 pace, 2.0 incline
18:00-19:59:  6.0 pace, 2.5 incline
20:00-21:59:  6.0 pace, 3.0 incline
22:00-27:20:  6.0 pace, no incline
27:21-30:00:  Cool down

The Cooper River Bridge Run is the first race, so it is important for me to focus on an inclines.  The actual bridge is equal to about a 4.0 incline on the treadmill.  The only difference is the bridge incline sneaks up on you quick!  

3 comments:

Virginia Belle said...

The MB Divas race sounds like so much fun! I may have to add that to my race bucket list. I'm doing my first Rock and Roll race in a couple of weeks, I can't wait!

A Brew of Blessings said...

I wish that bug would bite me ;) You go girl!

Hailey said...

No way, I am doing the Diva too!!! We need to meet up:)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...