Friday, January 6, 2012

{Pinterest Inspired} DIY Christmas Gift

I'm know I'm a little late posting this considering we are in the new year now, but I wanted to share with all of you two Christmas gifts I made with inspiration from Pinterest.  On one side of my family, we draw names at Thanksgiving every year for Christmas gifts.  This year I drew my two aunts...possibly the two hardest people to buy for on the planet!  They both said that they would like gift cards to home decor or craft stores, but I'm not a big gift card giver.  So, what did I do?  Looked to Pinterest for a little help.

Enter this amazing project/blog.
{via}
Whitney, from Shanty 2 Chic, made this sweet little letter art project for her daughter.  It inspired me to make one for each of my aunts.  They LOVE rustic, home decor gifts and I knew this would be a winner!

Materials:
2 in. thick plywood cut to size
5x7 frames for the amount of letters
Spray paint for frames and boards
Hot glue gun

Since I was doing two separate projects, I got the nice men at Lowe's to cut the super long plywood to size.  I measured out what I would need based on the number of 5x7 frames, an inch from the end of the wood to the first/last frame, and a half inch for in between the frames.  Calls for some exact math calculations!



I chose a dark brown spray paint for the plywood and a light cream color for the 5x7 frames.




I printed a copy of the letters of their last names from the free website at Walgreens only because I do not have a printer at home.  Once the paint dried on the frames, I added the pictures.
Finally, I carefully measured out where each frame would sit on the wood and hot glued each one.  Ta-da!

My gifts were a hit Christmas day!  Both of my aunts loved theirs and were excited to go home and find a spot for them!  I am so glad that my project panned out according to plan!

Did you make any of your Christmas gifts this past year? Were they a success? I would love to hear!

4 comments:

Sarah @ 90 Percent Blonde... said...

They came out amazing! I always saw them and wanted to make one but never looked into it. Now I know how and I plan on making some (not just for me but I think it would be a great bridesmaids gift too)!

Carly Messmer said...

Those look great! I've done something similar as a wedding gift. I took pictures of house numbers in Charleston to match the couples wedding date. I love the last name idea too!

Katie {katie lately} said...

These are adorable!! I have always loved when I've seen similar ideas but never thought of making them. Thanks for the idea :)

Samantha said...

Oooh, I love these! What a great DIY! Thanks for sharing!! :)

{I'm your newest follower!}

Sam
http://petitefemmejolie.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...